Monday, September 24, 2007

Lamb Dumpling Pot Stickers

Ingredients
1 lb. ground lamb
4-6 cloves garlic
6 sprigs fresh rosemary
cooked rice - about 1 cup
salt to taste
up to 1 pepper (jalap, serrano, or habanero)
won ton wrappers
1 cup chicken boullion mixed with
1/4 cup rice or white vinegar

Many years ago, my favorite Chinese restaurant in Houston had the best dumplings I've ever eaten - Lamb Dumplings. A few years ago, I started making my own steamed and fried dumplings, so I started searching for a good recipe for lamb. Apparently, this isn't a Chinese recipe, because as I looked on line for a good recipe, all of them hailed from Kazakhstan. These are shaped like a little purse with a drawstring and deep fried.

So I made 'em. Since then, I've modified the recipe using just a few basic elements from the original, and switched to potsticking them rather than deep frying them.

So, I take the lamb, sautee it with garlic, a lot of fresh rosemary (I take about six good sprigs from my garden and chop it up), and as much of the pepper as you want, based on your tolerance for heat. I sautee all that stuff up, drain the grease, and mix it with about a cup of cooked rice. (I always use basmati brown rice)

I'll add a few good shakes of salt and stir it all up.

I'm not going to go into how to roll dumplings here - there are a number of videos on You Tube where you can get a real Asian person showing you this. I'm a clumsy American guy. I then cook the dumplings in a skillet, and after browning each side, pour in about a half a cup of the chicken boullion / white vinegar mix to steam up and cook the rest of the dumplings.

Serve with soy sauce.

No comments: